Sunday, May 11, 2014

Savage 93R17 Trigger Again

I've had the Savage 17 HRM for quite a while now and I couldn't help but thinking it could shoot quite a bit better than it does.  In a previous post I reduced the trigger pull to a little over two pounds according to my fish scale.  It turns out that two pounds was actually 3.25 pounds so I tore it the gun down again and got to work.

First I polished the sear and trigger surfaces using a small fine stone.  I'm told these parts are case hardened so I didn't take much off.  Just knocked down the machining marks.  After putting it back together I checked pull weight and felt for grittiness (technical term).  The pull was still too heavy for my liking so I went to work on the spring.  After a lot of adjusting and testing I got a 2 pound 8 ounce pull.  The problem was now I could feel the trigger travel before and after the shot and wasn't liking what I felt.  There is a little shelf where the sear and trigger engage and I could definitely feel the two pieces sliding across each other until it went over the edge making a lot of creep.  I don't recommend this for anybody else, but I carefully went to work on trimming that shelf down and it worked.  There is still a little creep but nothing like it was.  Pull weight is still 2.5 pounds, which I think is just right for this gun.  You could throw the gun off the roof onto the driveway and it still wouldn't fire so I'm satisfied on the safety aspect.

I have a couple ideas stirring around my head for taking out the over travel so watch for another post.  One involves drilling and tapping for an adjustable screw and the other involves JB Weld!  After that it's another trip to the range to see if all these "adjustments" had any affect.  Until then, keep your stick on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment